Thursday, May 18, 2023

Tony Musical Musings - Best Direction & Choreography

The Tony Award nominations were announced last week.  Some interesting selections and snubs.  I think this is one of the most competitive seasons in a long time.
 

For the next few weeks I will be presenting my pithy views on the musical nominations.  Let’s see if you agree or not.  Post a comment.  I always love to hear from readers. 


The schedule will be:

May 18 - Best Direction of a Musical & Best Choreography

May 24 - Best Book of a Musical & Best Original Score

June 1 - Best Performance by an Actor/Actress  in a Featured Role in a Musical

June 5 - Best Performance by an Actor/Actress  in a Leading Role in a Musical

June 9 - Best Revival of a Musical & Best Musical


Best Direction of a Musical

Michael Arden, Parade

Lear deBessonet, Into the Woods

Casey Nicholaw, Some Like It Hot

Jack O’Brien, Shucked

Jessica Stone, Kimberly Akimbo


Oh, goodness.  Five very deserving nominations.  In all honesty, anyone who wins would be fine with me.  But, since I did say I would choose a winner…I am going with Michael Arden for Parade.  This is grand theater and Mr. Arden takes a large number of performers with significant roles, an emotionally devastating story, and delivers a triumph of the musical stage.


Best Choreography

Steven Hoggett, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Casey Nicholaw, Some Like It Hot

Susan Stroman, New York, New York

Jennifer Weber, & Juliet

Jennifer Weber, KPOP


Another exemplary group of artists.  For me, a close choice between New York, New York and Some Like It Hot.  The latter is tap dancing heaven, which I love.  However, I will choose Susan Stroman. Her work is more varied and at times thrilling.  It can be rousing - a tap dancing routine high above the Manhattan skyline on top of steel girders of an unfinished skyscraper is breathtaking - but also elegant and jazzy.
 

No comments: