Sunday, March 27, 2016

Review "Bright Star"

Every so often I attend a stage production knowing almost nothing about the show.  For the new Broadway musical, Bright Star, I was aware that the multi-talented comedian, Steve Martin, had teamed with Edie Brickell to write the story and music (she penned the lyrics, he wrote the book).  That was all I knew and I wanted to keep it that way.  Surprise me.

Let it suffice to say I was surprised.  Pleasantly surprised.  Wonderfully surprised with all aspects of the production.  When I sat down to write this review I struggled with what to say, not because I couldn’t find the words, but because I was hesitant to unveil any facet of the show.  I wanted theater-goers to experience the musical without the filter of my critique and possibly come away exhilarated like myself.

Therefore, my review is short, simple, and to the point.  Go see Bright Star.  Be enchanted, moved, uplifted and maybe even shed a tear. 

No comments: